Frequently Asked Questions


Can I use the Billboard to promote charity events?

No. Any form of solicitation is forbidden in Town even by means of the electronic billboard. The sole exception is fundraisers organized by authorized groups from the Baie-D’Urfé community.

Does the Town have an emergency centre?

Yes. The Baie-D’Urfé Curling Club located at 63 Churchill is the designated emergency shelter for the Town of Baie-D’Urfé. In case of emergency, citizens will be advised accordingly.

Does the Town provide support to citizens who participate in national competitions?

Yes. The Town has created the Excellence Support Program in order to help defray the travel costs of Baie-D’Urfé citizens who distinguish themselves by representing their community at provincial, national or international competitions.

These include, sporting competitions, chess tournaments, competitive debating, spelling bees, and so on. Application forms are available on our website and upon request at Town Hall. Applicants must meet the program's policy requirements in order to be approved.

When should I call the vCOP or the Rescue Squad?

The vCOP and the Rescue Squad are vital tools in our community when it comes to promoting public security or to lend a hand in case of emergencies or major disasters. They remain volunteers and are not substitutes for the police but complement local and regional emergency services. They can be contacted at 514 457-9385 or through the Public Works Department.

Vandalism and theft must be reported to the local police at 514 280 2222 (number for non-urgent cases). Please note that this line is sometimes transferred to 9-1-1 at certain times. For any emergency dial 9-1-1.

Who can I contact regarding the News & Views?

The News & Views monthly magazine and the Annual Baie‑D’Urfé Telephone Directory are partially produced by the Baie‑D’Urfé Citizens' Association. The Town simply uses the News & Views to distribute its monthly Newsletter. Please contact the editor should you have any questions regarding content or advertising. Contact information usually appears on the first pages of the magazine.

For the Municipal Newsletter that is produced by the Town Administration and inserted in the monthly issue of the News & Views, please contact the Communication Department at 514 457-7457.

Who do I call in case of a municipal emergency outside office hours?

For municipal emergencies outside regular office hours, such as water breaks or basement flooding’s, please call 514 630‑1234.


Candidates for municipal elections

Those who wish to run as candidates for municipal elections are invited to consult the website of the Chief Electoral Officer (DGEQ) at: will find all the information on the requirements for candidates, for procedures to follow and the election financing. 

Is Town Hall required to inform me about issues related to General Election?

No. The Town Hall does not have the responsibility to inform citizens on issues related to any elections. You must contact the Chief Electoral Officer of Québec at 1 888 ELECTION. You can also visit their website at: or send them an E-mail at:


Are garbage bins provided by the Town for the different collection program?

Although the Town does not provide garbage bins, each household is provided with a recycling and an organic bin at no charge. The bins remain the property of the Town and must stay with the house in the event that a resident moves. To report a damaged bin, please contact Public Works.

Can parks and green spaces be reserved?

No. Parks and green spaces cannot be reserved as they are public places. Residents can however hold weddings or family reunions on the condition that they do not restrict access to other users. Tents, BBQs, open-air fires and alcohol are prohibited.

Does the Town provide compost and wood chips?

Yes. Residents may pick-up free compost and wood chips from Public Works should the Town have excess. Quantities are limited and vary from year to year. Please contact the Public Works department for more information.

What kind of items can I put out for a special pick-up?

The Town offers a special pick-up service to residents for small quantities of construction materials and household goods at a minimum charge. For larger projects, waste container rental is recommended.

Where can I discard my bulky items?

The Town organizes a few special bulky items pick-ups throughout the year, which are advertised beforehand in the News & Views, on the electronic billboard and on our website, a few weeks prior. You must simply place your items by the roadside between 8 p.m. the night before and 7 a.m. the day of the pick-up. You can also drop-off your bulky items at a number of ecocentres on the island of Montréal. Below are the nearest two: 

Saint-Laurent Écocentre
3535 rue Sartelon
514 872-0384

LaSalle Ecocentre
7272 rue St-Patrick
514 872-0384

Where can I obtain information about the quality of water in Baie D’Urfé?

Baie-D’Urfé’s water comes from the City of Pointe-Claire. To learn more about water quality, visit the Pointe-Claire website at

You can also consult the section Preventive measures for suspected water contamination under Emergency Services. You will find detailed measures of non-consumption and boiling advice information in the event of suspicious water contamination.


Can I contest my property valuation?

To contest your property valuation, you must submit an application for an administrative review to the City of Montréal in person. Forms are available on our website, at Town Hall and at Please note that there are deadlines to respect.

Can I pay a ticket or a fine at the Baie-D’Urfé Town Hall?

No. Contrary to what is indicated on tickets issued on the Island of Montréal, the Town of Baie-D’Urfé does not accept payment for parking and speeding tickets.

Can I pay my School Tax bill at the Baie-D’Urfé Town Hall?

No. School taxes are not of municipal jurisdiction. For more information, you may visit the following website:

Does the Town conduct property valuations?

No. Property valuations are not determined by the Town of Baie-D’Urfé but rather by the City of Montréal. In the event of a sale or transfer of property, official certificates are issued by Montréal before changes can be made to the Town roll. This may take several months.

What methods of payment are accepted at Town Hall?

Cash, cheque and debit card payments are all accepted at Town Hall. You can also pay a Town bill through on-line or telephone banking.

Town Clerk and Legal Affairs

Does the Town have a Commissioner of oaths?

Yes. In fact, the Town has one commissioner of oaths. We can provide you with certified true copies and life attestations. This service is offered at Town Hall free of charge. Please contact Town Hall to make an appointment.

Does the Town hold sales for taxes?

Yes, if there is a need to do so. Should one be held, notices are published in the local papers as well as on the Town website. All questions should be addressed to the Town Clerk.

Where can I consult the Town by-laws?

The most requested by-laws are available on the Town website. By-law questions should be addressed to the Town Clerk.

Where can I obtain a certificate of domicile?

Certificates of domicile can be prepared by the Town Clerk department.

Urban Planning

Are Storage containers authorized on private properties?

No. In residential zones, the Zoning By-Law 875 prohibits the installation of outside closed storage containers that are generally used for the storage of tools, materials, clothes, furniture or other household goods.

Outdoor storage containers such as pods or cubes are strictly prohibited. Garbage containers are permitted. Residents do not require a permit for them if they are on private property; however, the container must be placed on their property and not on the street.

Are there watering restrictions in Baie-D’Urfé?

Yes. Automatic or manual lawn watering is prohibited at all times between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. every day of the week.

Exceptions are provided for newly installed lawns. 

Any new sprinkler system must be equipped with a moisture sensor or an automatic rain shut-off switch that will override the irrigation cycle when adequate rainfall has occurred or when the moisture content of the soil is adequate.

Manual watering, using a hose, of a flower garden, vegetable garden, flower box, planter, border, tree or shrub is permitted at all times.

For additional information, please contact the Municipal Technician.

Can I use pesticides to get rid of white grubs on my lawn?

No. The use of pesticides is prohibited in Town and any lawn-care company hired must use bio-friendly products.

May I still use my fireplace, wood-burning stove or my solid-fuel burning device in Baie-D’Urfé?

It is still permitted to use an existing wood-burning appliance or fireplace until July 1st, 2022. Following this date, all homes will have to comply with the EPA or CSA’s emission rate requirements. New inserts must be CSA or EPA-certified and must respect the following polluting particules emission threshold: 2.5 g/h or less.

What is the parking regulation on the territory of Baie-D’Urfé?

The by-law prohibits parking of over four (4) consecutive hours on Town streets as stated in section 6.3 of the Traffic by-law. Fines will be issued to any individual in breach of this by-law.

In order to facilitate snow removal, parking motor vehicles on public roads is prohibited during snowfalls of 2.5 cm or over, nor  in the six (6) hours following this snowfall.

Public Works

Does the Town permit the use of fire hydrants to fill pools?

Fire hydrants can only be operated by Town employees and the fire department. You must therefore contact the Public Works department at 514 457-2877 in order to have the Town fill your pool. A fee is applicable.

What should I do if I lose my pet?

Contact the Animal Services Agent at the Centre Canin du Suroît at 450 510-1508 as soon as you notice that your pet is missing, whose contact information is available on the Animal Services page of our website or contact Town Hall. 

Who can I contact if I need to shut off water during renovations?

To request a temporary interruption of water distribution for plumbing or renovation work, please call the Public Works department at 514 457‑2877.

Why does my water sometimes look discoloured in the spring and fall?

Residents may experience a slight discoloration of their water in the spring and fall when a routine flushing of the water network is conducted. The “rusty” colour is attributed to a kick up of sediment in the pipes due to a fluctuation in pressure. While not harmful to drink, it is recommended to let the water run until it becomes clear. Please advise the Public Works department at 514 457-2877 should it persist.

© Copyright 2018 Town of Baie-D'Urfé. All rights reserved.